I’m trying to think of something to say about the Green Bay-Denver game coming up, but I know nohing about the Broncos. I thought about it for a minute and could only think of about 4 players that play for the Broncos (and only 1 of them played last week). This game against a very injured Denver team should be a cakewalk for the Packers, but we’ve said the before, right? A couple things they should keep an eye out for:
- Denver’s coming off a a game they should have won in Tennessee. Maybe that will light a fire under the team to come into Lambeau hot? Maybe?
- The Packers are currently 31st in the league in opponent passing yards allowed. Yikes. They’re giving up 359 yards a game on average! The secondary is making every quarterback look like Tom Freakin’ Brady!! But let’s not full-out panic yet - Kyle Orton should bring those numbers down some.
- If you’re depressed about the secondary, here’s something to comfort yourself with: the Packers are FIRST in the league in rush defense!!! Yay! Good job, guys! Too bad most teams barely use the run anymore. Example: Adrian Peterson - THE BEST RUNNER IN THE LEAGUE - was given only 5 carries in the second half in last week’s loss to the Lions. FIVE. Minnesota, you have not only a terrible quarterback, but you have THE BEST RUNNER IN THE LEAGUE, why, oh why, would you only give Adrian Peterson 5 carries in the second half?? Especially when the Lions were coming roaring back like that?
- I’m sorry, I really can’t get over Denver’s injuries this year. It’s like every really good or even sorta good player on the team was struck down by the football gods. Champ Bailey, Brandon Lloyd, Elvis Dumervil, Knowshon Moreno. Also, all their back-ups, too. Perhaps the football gods are still angry over the Josh McDaniels disaster.
- How ‘bout that Clay Matthews on the run? Last year, he was not that reliable on the run. (Remember the Steelers targeting him on the run in the Super Bowl? But he made them pay, eventually. Heh.) Last Sunday, poor Matt Forte could barely take even a step in the direction of the line of scrimmage before Clay ate him up. Heh.
- The Packers, at some point in the season, will be upset by a much inferior team. Not this week, though.